Himachal Pradesh Tourism, 10 best places to visit in Himachal Pradesh
Exploring Himalayas has been my craze since I was a Kid. Watching those gigantic mountains covered with white snow, on televisions, use to drive me crazy. So I planned to explore the length and breadth of Himachal Pradesh and here I come with Himachal Pradesh Tourism guide which will be helpful for explorers and nature lovers like me. This Himachal Pradesh Tourism guide will consist of places to visit in Himachal Pradesh, how to reach, things to do, best time to visit etc. Continue reading and explore Himachal virtually before you actually visit there.
Himachal Pradesh Tourism
Himachal Pradesh, a name given by charya Diwakar Datt Sharma, who was a Sanskrit scholar of this land. “Hima” which means Snow in Sanskrit is a perfect destination for snow lovers in India, sitting in the lap of Himalayas, it provides mesmerizing experience. The state is situated in North India and bordered by Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab, Uttarakhand and Haryana. Himachal Pradesh is not only famous for its valleys, it also famous for its beautiful temples, monasteries, gardens, amazing rivers, flora & flauna. There are many awesome places to visit in Himachal Pradesh, visiting here will revive your body, soul and mind and provide you with unforgettable memories that you will cherish forever.
Places to visit in Himachal Pradesh
The below mentioned list of places to visit in Himachal Pradesh is listed according to, what I think is best in Himachal, you may differ with my list sequence, but its all about personal preferences.
Manali : Himachal Pradesh Tourism
Manali is a beautiful hill station located in the district of Kullu and have some of the best sight seeing opportunities. Its my favorite destination in Himachal Pradesh for its outstanding natural beauty of lofty mountains, lush green environment and amazing river Beas. Manali is a hot spot for honeymooners, motorcyclist, trekkers, families. Manali has to offer something to everyone. Here is the list of top places to visit in Manali, you should visit these places to enjoy yourself and have a great time.
How to reach Manali
- By Air : Manali is well connected by air and nearest airport is in Bhuntur and it is about 50 kilometers from Manali.
- By Train : Chandigarh and Ambala are two major railway station that is near Manali, Chandigarh and Ambala are well connected from all other major cities in India.
- By Road : Manali is easily accessible by road. It is well connected from New Delhi (Capital of India) and other important tourist destinations.
Kullu : Himachal Pradesh Tourism
Kullu also known as “valley of Gods” is yet another important tourist destination in Himachal Pradesh. Kullu and Manali trip is often taken together. It is famous for its shawl industry and white river rafting. Some of the notable places in Kullu are Basheshwar Mahadev Temple, Sultanpur Palace, Parvati Valley, Raison, Raghunathji Temple, Bijli Mahadev Temple, Shoja.
How to reach Kullu
- By Air : Kullu is well connected by air and the nearest airport is in Bhuntur.
- By Train : Chandigarh and Ambala are two major railway station that connects to Kullu.
- By Road : Kullu is easily accessible by road. It is well connected from New Delhi (Capital of India) and other important tourist destinations.
Dalhousie : Himachal Pradesh Tourism
Dalhousie is a beautiful hill-station, located in Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh. It is named after British Governor General, Lord Dalhousie, who established this place as summer retreat for his officials. Dalhousie is known for its pleasant climate, snow capped mountains and Victorian styled Mansions. Some of the prominent places to see in Dalhousie includes Khajjiar, Kalatop wildlife reserve, Dainkund peak, and Panch Pula. Check the complete list of places to visit in Dalhousie.
How to reach Dalhousie
- By Air : Gajjal is the nearest airport from Dalhousie which is at the distance of approximately 50 kilometers.
- By Train : Pathankot railway station is near to Dalhousie and the station is well connected to other parts of India. One can easily hire Cab or Bus from Pathankot for Dalhousie.
- By Road : Dalhousie is well connected via road, and bus services are available from Delhi and other important cities.
Dhramshala : Himachal Pradesh Tourism
Dhramshala is a popular Hill Station in Himachal Pradesh. It is well known among Indian and foreign tourists alike because of its mesmerizing beauty and picturesque landscape. It is located in Kangra valley at an altitude of about 1475 meters. It is surrounded by coniferous forest which adds to its beauty. Major attractions in Dhramshala includes McLeod Ganj, Masrur, Kangra Museum, Kangra fort and Dal lake. Dhramshala receives heavy rainfall during monsoon, and snow during winter. Best time to visit Dharamshala is from March to July. Check out the complete guide of Dharamshala
How to reach Dhramshala
- By Air : Gajjal is the nearest airport to reach Dhramshala, it is located at the distance of 13 kilometers, but Gajjal doesn’t connects with all cities. Chandigarh airport, at a distance of about 275 kilometers, connects to all major cities. You may opt for flight to Chandigarh and then hire a cab or bus to Dhramshala.
- By Train : Pathankot Railway station, which is well connected to all major parts of the country can be used to reach Dhramshala.
- By road : Dhramshala is well connected via road network, and one can easily reach here from Chandigarh, Delhi and other major cities.
Kasauli : Himachal Pradesh Tourism
Kasauli, located in Solan district is yet another hill station established by British government. The hill station of Kasauli is serene and mesmerizing. Its the place frequented by creative people, because the place ignites creativity which is borne out of it awesome climate and outstanding landscape. Here is the list of top places to visit in Kasauli, that you should explore in your trip to Kasauli. The place is accessible and can be visited throughout the year and each season has its own charm.
How to reach Kasauli
- By Air : One can take flight to Chandigarh and reach Kasauli by hiring private cab easily.
- By Train : Sonwara is the nearest railway station from Kasauli.
- By road : Nearest bus stand is located in Parwanoo.
Shimla : Himachal Pradesh Tourism
Shimla is the capital of Himachal Pradesh and it is known for its heavenly climate, gorgeous mountains and beautiful lakes. This beautiful land was summer capital during British era. It is one of the most popular hill station in north India. Prominent places to visit in Shimla includes Jakhoo hills, the ridge, Shimla state museum, green valley etc. The place is hot spot to see snow fall, so the month of December and January receives most number of tourists.
How to reach Shimla
- By Air : Shimla is accessible via flight, and you may visit Chandigarh airport and either take cab to Shimla or take another flight to Jubarhati which is about 23 kilometers from main town of Shimla.
- By Train : You may visit Kalka railway station via train, which is accessible from all the major cities of India.
- By Road : Shimla has good road connectivity and it is accessible from all major cities of India, there are direct bus service available from Chandigarh and Delhi.
Palampur : Himachal Pradesh Tourism
Palampur, the “tea capital of north India” is a serene hill station, located in Kangra valley. Pine forest, tea gardens and Dhualadhar mountain range bestow a mysterious beauty to Palampur. Number of streams flow through the land of this beautiful scenic hill station, which makes this place a great choice for anyone looking for nature’s beauty. Palampur offers a great contrast of plain and peak, the Dhauladhar mountain remains snow covered throughout the year, which appears majestic and gives this hill station magnificent beauty.
How to reach Palampur
- By Air : Palampur is not directly connected via flights, instead you may board flight for Gaggal airport dharmashala, which is located at a distance of 58 kilometers from Palampur.
- By Train : Pathankot, in the state of Punjab is the nearest Railway Station. You may board train for Pathankot and then hire cab or bus for Palampur.
- By Bus : Palampur is well connected via roads. And bus service for Palampur is available from all major cities of North India.
Kasol : Himachal Pradesh Tourism
Kasol is a small village in Kullu district. It has become a popular tourist spot of Himachal Pradesh in last four to five years for its picturesque landscape, serenity of Parvati river and a number of nearby hikes and treks. It is located in between the way of Manikaran and Bhuntar and is a perfect getaway for offbeat travel lovers. Kasol and nearby villages are less commercialized and retains the natural beauty and Himalayan Grandeur. Kasol is a nice weekend getaway for anyone looking for relaxation and peace.
How to reach Kasol
- By Air : Nearest airport is located at Bhuntar, you may board flight to Bhuntar, and then hire local cab to reach Kasol. The distance from Bhuntar to Kasol is about 30 kilometers.
- By Train : Nearest railway station is located at Pathankot, at a distance of 150 kilometers. Private cabs are easily available from Pathankot.
- By Bus : Direct buses for Bhuntar is available from all the major cities of North India and from Bhuntar, you may hire local cabs for Kasol.
Chamba : Himachal Pradesh Tourism
The ancient town of Chamba is located in Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh at a height of 996 meters above sea-level. Chamba is popular because of its temples and palaces. It is also well known for its fairs like “Suhi Mata Mela” & “Minjar Mela”, which is celebrated with music, dance and get together. Chamba is also popular among art & craft lovers, the famous “Pahari painting” originated here.
How to reach Chamba
- By Air : Board flight for Gaggal airport in Dharmashala, which is at a distance of about 190 kilometers from Chamba, then you may hire private cab for Chamba.
- By Train : Board train for Pathankot Railway station, and then you may hire private cab for Chamba. It takes about 2 hrs drive from Pathankot to Chamba.
- By Bus : Chamba is good road connectivity and regular bus service is available for Chamba.
Solan : Himachal Pradesh Tourism
Solan also known as “Mushroom city of India” because of it Mushroom farming and “City of Red Gold” because of its production of Tomatoes is a land surrounded by hills and valleys. This place is situated in between Chandigarh and Shimla and serves as a gateway to other popular hill stations of Himachal Pradesh like Kasauli, Chail etc. Solan is popular weekend gateway for North Indians looking for serenity and peace of mind. Solan got its name from Goddess Shoolini Devi, three days fair is organised in the month of June devoted to Goddess Shoolini Devi.
How to reach Solan
- By Air : Shimla and Chandigarh is nearest Airport and one can board flight either for Shimla or for Chandigarh. Private cabs for Solan is easily available from both these Airports.
- By Train : Solan is well connected via Train through UNESCO World heritage ” Kalka-Shimla Railway”. You may reach Kalka railway station and then either board Kalka-Shimla train or take private cab to reach Solan.
- By Bus : Solan is accessible via road network, and direct bus is available from Delhi, Chandigarh, Shimla and other major cities of North India.
These are the amazing 10 places to visit in Himachal Pradesh. There are some other notable places like Kangra, Hamirpur, Parwanoo, Pragpur, Sirmaur, Taragarh, una, which are worth mentioning here. Let me know in comments if I have missed any important tourist attraction in Himachal Pradesh. Share your experience, if you have been to any place listed in here.